- Short-term activism over the next 24+ hours focused on HR514; Thursday morning, launch a campaign focused on the Senate
- Leahy (S.193) is better than other alternatives, nowhere near as good as JUSTICE Act, unlikely to make it to Senate floor
- Clock is ticking: end-of-Feb deadline to reauth, Congress is on recess last week of the month. A two- or three-month extension is arguably the least awful of the options
- Need to start preparing now for possible scenarios like: extension until December and next battle is in the shadow of 9/11; Feinstein bill extends patriotact and FISA until 2013.
- Focus Twitter energy on the #patriotact hashtag.
- Worth investigating POPVOX as an additional tool — it’s designed to work well in a situation where advocacy orgs are aligned on an issue but not in a coalition, also good functionality for focusing on specific votes.
- Online event tomorrow at 6 p.m. Eastern/3 p.m. Pacific, right before the House vote
- Next phone call/chat Wednesday. When’s good for you? Please fill out the Doodle poll.
- Senate campaign to launch Thursday.
- Harry and Jon write up notes from meeting
- Sallie to do a post tonight or tomorrow for the GFR blog (Chip has been giving feedback in email), Patrick to help
- ? to do tech support for the blog
- BORDC to shoot for Thursday morning launch
- Jon and Harry to set up online meeting during vote tomorrow; Jim and Patrick to get word out on Facebook, Mark on myBO
- Jon to follow up wtih rainey at EFF
- Sallie and Rachna to follow up on ‘commerical address’ PopVox issue
- Rachna to report other bugs to engineering
- Rachna to send POPVOX one-pager, ? to post on the blog
- all to try out POPVOX and let us know about any issues
There was a lot of great discussion at the meeting. If you missed it, Harry’s excellent notes are almost as good as being there. Even though it’s not a great situation, I was really encouraged by the energy on the call. So, let’s make some noise and see what happens!