Great meeting! Thanks to all the participants, including Michelle from ACLU, Kevin from EFF, Chip from BORDC, Julian from Cato, Cyn from the Momocrats, Jared from EPIC, Korkie, Doug, longtime GFR’ers including Carlo, Manny, Ben, Harry, Joan, Jim, and John — and quite probably others as well; apologies to anybody I missed. Also apologies for the problems with the chat room. Grr. I hate software.
- Senate Judiciary Committee will mark up Leahy Bill on October 1. Short-term focus is on members and Senate co-sponsors for JUSTICE Act. see the list of FB and Twitter profiles here
- rallying cry for the next week: “support the JUSTICE Bill” or “bring JUSTICE to the PATRIOT Act”. more specifically:
- For SJC members: amend the Leahy Bill to include key provisions of the JUSTICE Bill (ACLU will have a side-by-side comparison, for now see Greg Nojeim’s Eyes on the Prize as the Patriot debates unfold)
- For all members: co-sponsor S.1686, the JUSTICE Bill along
- libertarian and “right blogosphere” outreach: Ron Paul’s Legislative assistant, who else?
- “PATRIOT Act” resonates more than “FISA” for this battle
- misuse of sneak and peak could be something to focus on
- how to reconcile the need for a single crisp message with the multiple audiences?
Next phone call Saturday, noon Pacific time. This weekend, we’ll kick off a Twitter/Facebook activism campaign … stay tuned!
Watch the blog at https://getfisaright.wordpress.com/ for updates; we’ll also send out an invite to the Facebook group and email to the myBO list.