Things are expected to move quickly in the Senate; I’ve heard that the SJC may report a bill out as early as October 1. So that’s likely to be where a lot of the action is. Center for Democracy and Technology’s Patriot Act Sunsets Should Prompt Re-consideration of Anti-terror Powers ends with a useful section on What’s next in Congress for the Patriot Act?
In the short term:
- 11 a.m. Tuesday, September 22, House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and
Civil Liberties hearing on the USA PATRIOT Act, chaired by Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY). Speakers include Suzanne Spaulding and Michael German of the ACLU, former GOP Representative Tom Evans, former GOP Representative from Delaware, and former DOJer Kenneth Weinstein.
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, September 23: Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on on reauthorization of the USA PATRIOT Act.
Also, for those wanting to know more about the JUSTICE Act, here are various organizational endorsements:
- Justice for True Patriots, ACLU
- Senate Bill Defends Reader Privacy by Regulating Surveillance, American Library Association
- Bill of Rights Defence Commiteee Strongly Supports the JUSTICE Act
- EFF Supports JUSTICE Act to Reform the USA PATRIOT Act and Repeal Telco Immunity
Chip Pitts listed several other endorsing organizations on the Get FISA Right wiki, including the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, the Center for National Security Studies, the National Coalition Against Censorship, PEN American Center, and the Woodhull Freedom Foundation … hopefully just the start of a longer list. If anybody has links to their endorsement statements, or knows of other endorsing groups, please leave the information in the comments. Thanks as always!
PS: Get FISA Right organizer Ben Masel has created a Facebook group Pass the JUSTICE Act. Please join, and help get the word out!