Update, 4:30 PM: we finished #5. thanks to all for your help! more here.
The voting ends Thursday at 2 p.m. Pacific time in the change.org’s Ideas for Change competition, and with the “merge” between the drug war and legalization ideas throwing things into a tizzy, anything can happen. Bob Fertik’s Appoint a Special Prosecutor for the Crimes of the Bush Administration is up to #12 . Get FISA Right, repeal the PATRIOT Act, and restore our civil liberties is currently #7, thanks to links in mailings from Bob at Democrats.com and DreamActivist.*
It’s far from over. Bob’s only 660 votes out of the top 10, and there at least 7000 votes up for grabs. And with less than 700 votes separate the #5 idea from #9, if any of the ideas farther down the list suddenly get hot — and/or start merging — it could be a very close finish. As calibration, yesterday, Appoint Secretary of Peace in Department of Peace and Non-Violence got over 5000 votes, shooting from #10 up to #2.
So while it’s great we’re in #6 (yay us! and thanks again, Bob and DreamActivist — as well as Jason Rosenbaum of The Seminal, who just endorsed us), we need to roll up our virtual sleeves one more time …
Here’s how you can help — and please be sure to check back to this page from time to time for any updates!
- vote for our idea on change.org if you haven’t already — and then vote for Bob’s, too. Please double-check that your vote has counted: you should see a red or brown “voted” button at the top of the change.org page. If not, see the instructions here. This is the single most important thing you can do!
- if you’re on Facebook, please post this link to your profile. (Detailed instructions here.) Then please add a comment in the deadline thread on our Facebook Page; that way, it’ll go out in your feed and your friends will get a reminder about the deadline. Change your status, too; mine is currently …
- follow up on email you’ve sent to friends, family, and bloggers reminding them of the deadline — and including a link to Bob’s idea as well. Please make sure to remind people to double-check that their vote has counted!
- bloggers: repost this post
- blogger outreach: add comments on stories about wiretapping, torture, the special prosecutor debate, or the change.org competion with links back to our ideas. Follow up with mail to the blogger and ask them to do a post — and ask them for an endorsement.
- twitter: tweet it. As usual, see our Twitter page for examples.
- if you’ve got other ideas: please leave them as comments here
We may switch our digging efforts elsewhere and try some outreach on change.org later, so please check back to this page for updated information …
In a classic case of horrible timing, I’ll be offline most of the day. So please don’t rely on my to coordinate things; use this thread and the Google discussion group (and Facebook too, if you’re there) to self-organize.
Pretty dramatic … good luck all!
And, get to work. Remember: if changing the world were easy, everybody would do it.
* whose Pass the DREAM Act – Support Higher Education for All Students is currently only 50 votes behind us at #7.