The voting ends Thursday at 2 p.m. Pacific time in the change.org’s Ideas for Change competition. Please keep doing what you’re doing, becuase it’s working: Get FISA Right, repeal the PATRIOT Act, and restore our civil liberties has been surging over the last 36 hours and is now up to #7 with over 9600 votes.
The most important number to watch is the cushion of votes keeping us in the top ten,* and that’s gone from 1500 yesterday to over 2100. Go us!
We’ve just voted to endorse Bob Fertik’s Appoint a Special Prosecutor for the Crimes of the Bush Administration, and so we’ll be promoting that as well. Bob’s idea has moved up to #14 (it was #23 a couple of days ago), but still is 2600 votes from the top 10. It’s a tough job, but not impossible. So let’s make sure to promote his as well as ours.
Here’s how you can help.
- vote for our idea on change.org if you haven’t already — and then vote for Bob’s, too. Please double-check that your vote has counted: you should see a brown “voted” button at the top of the change.org page. If not, see the instuctions here.
- after being buried by pro-surveillance diggers, we’re trying another digg campaign, with a post that links to our idea and Bob’s as well as several others. Digg it!
- follow up on email you’ve sent to friends and family, reminding them of the deadline — and including a link to Bob’s idea as well. Please make sure to remind people to double-check that their vote has counted!
- help with the blogger outreach — and, once again follow up on email you’ve already sent!
- change your status, post and share this link, and get involved on Facebook (if you’re new to Facebook, there are detailed instructions here)
- tweet it! Try something like 24 hours left to vote for civil liberties http://tinyurl.com/8ovtnt. See our twitter page for more examples.
It’s really astonishing how well we’re doing with limited blog visibility and without any organizational sponsors — and a testimony to the hard work that so many of our members and supporters are doing spreading the word person-to-person. A great great job … kudos to everybody involved.
I’m going to be offline most of today and tomorrow, so please don’t get hung up on waiting for me. Thanks for all the hard work so far and let’s get cracking for the final push on both ideas!
* more precisely, the difference between our idea and the #11 idea. see, all those hours reading Nate on 538 are turning out to be useful!